TRY OUR PACKAGES
What Will I Learn?
A low-quality directory would not show up this well and may not even be indexed by Google at all, especially if it’s deemed to be a “spammy” website.
The directories need to be:
What Is Web Directory Link Building?
The answer is yes . But not in the way they used to be.
If you want to know some tried and tested directories you can use to start submitting your website to, here are 32 to get you started.
This was a heavily spammed tactic for many years but you can still win relevant links from powerful domains with relative ease.
These are both great examples of unique descriptive directory entries.
Do this by searching for the directory’s homepage URL and seeing the results that show up:
So if a directory has a high domain rating (like in the example above) and Google are listing it’s page in their index – you can likely trust it.
How To Identify A High-Quality Directory.
See how they all convey the same message but are written in different ways?
Another way to check the quality would be to run its URL through a tool like Ahrefs.
But if it’s not, you should give it a miss!
Nearly every site that ranks, has directory links in their profile!
Directory Submissions: Why They’re Still Relevant In 2022.
Web directory link building is the process of adding your website’s link to an online database (directory) of links.
Each submission should be:
You could even copy the format from some of these entries for yourself! Just make sure each directory submission that you write is unique and to an excellent standard.
Don’t forget to submit your URL to Google as well though. Don’t know how to do that? Check out my guide on search engine submission.
If I was submitting my websites to three different directories, here’s how I would phrase each of the submissions:
2) It boosts a business’ website’s visibility in local search results. Local SEO strategies involve optimizing keywords with your local city or cities (e.g. “top hair salon Rockville”, “event management Washington DC”, “Italian pizza Bethesda”, etc.). This is the same strategy that local online directories use and because they typically have a high “domain authority” they appear more often in the first page of web search results using (e.g. Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.). This, in turn, will lead to increased appearance and ranking of your business profile in local search results.
1) It’s one of the top ranking factors used in the Google Search Algorithm. Google partnered with two independent consumer research firms to run a small study (
4) It allows your business to dominate search results. By listing your business in as many online directories as possible you greatly improve the likelihood that your business will appear on the first page of Google Search results and other search engines.
Five reasons to publish your business in online SEO directories:
(*Note: Always be sure to search for your business listing in each directory before creating a brand new one. Removing duplicate listings in these directories is equally as important and time-consuming to remove if there is a duplicate.)
It’s exactly what the name implies, it’s the same as a print phone book (e.g. Yellow pages) for businesses, except it’s all digital on the world wide web. A small business can enter information (e.g. business name, address, phone number, and email) onto a directory to improve their SEO visibility for local search results by users. Below is a screenshot of a sample online directory (https://www.manta.com/add-your-company?) and the type of business information you can provide. Depending on the directory, adding your small business information to a database is often free. However, some directories require a fee in order to add a business profile to their index. If it’s a one-time fee and the directory has a high domain authority (50 or greater) it’s often a worthwhile investment.
So your first question might be, what is an online directory?
Your next question might be, how does listing my business in local online directories improve my SEO rankings?
5) It’s a cost-effective SEO strategy because you get more bang for your buck. Online directories enable businesses to reach a wider range of target audiences and consumers can leave real reviews about your business. In addition, a majority of the directories listed below are free!
Click the different table headings (e.g. URL or Link) to sort each column!
*Domain Authority is a ranking metric (based on a 100 point scale) established by the SEO experts at Moz.com. It determines the power of a domain and how well it will rank in Google search results using a multi-factorial algorithm.
The top 50 online directories to improve SEO we recommend below:
The study’s results demonstrate that LOCAL business information is extremely important to consumers when searching and shopping online. Therefore, Google realized the importance of local information in online searches and has made it one of the strongest ranking factors in their search algorithm. Hence why publishing in LOCAL online directories is an ideal SEO strategy for businesses.
4,500 participants) to better understand consumers’ local search behavior on smartphones, desktops and tablets. Below are some stats from the study:
3) It will increase your brand’s visibility. Using the logic in point #2, more appearances in search results has two major impacts on a business’ branding. One is an increase in brand recognition. Second is an increase in user familiarity and trust in your brand. Therefore, it’s crucially important to use a recognizable logo and add as much information about your business as possible to each directory you list the business in.
Thanks for reading about the top 50 online directories. Be sure to check out our other SEO Articles for increasing your web presence!